Monday, December 10, 2007

Artist Statement

A few years ago during an experimental photography class I fell in love with a way of making digital photograms using a scanner, called scanograms. I started with some inanimate objects, a plastic phone, some shoes, a koosh ball and loved the extreme shallow depth of field along with the incredible color and detail offered by the digital scanner.

The following year inspired by early scientific photograms and botanical prints I tried produce. Working with organic objects I get to take advantage of the incredible shapes, textures, and colors in things around us. I’m interested in the process of life. Things ripen, decay, dry out. I’m fascinated by the materials. Every time I come back to the materials, they are changed. In order to make use of the scanner I often deconstruct the materials. I peel, crush, and hold them down. In the process, details get revealed or withheld according to their place against the glass scanning bed. I leave the smudges caused by pollen, juice, and peel on the images because they are part of the organic nature of the materials, the way each section of orange contains pithy white veins along with the beautiful cells full of juice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.